Wednesday 16 June 2010

Apps for video review

I haven't blogged for a while because we're between terms at the moment and haven't had a chance to try anything new out with my class. However, the summer school begins in a couple of weeks time and so I plan to get back into experimenting with different aspects of mobile learning when that starts.

One thing I plan to do in the near future is providing video reviews of useful apps for ESL students on a variety of mobile platforms. I'm rather limited by the devices I actually own, so I will probably be able to do them for iphone/ipod touch, Android and maybe Symbian (I have an old Nokia that I could try some out on). I will be doing these mainly for my own students, so they will be presented in a way that is accessible and understandable for them.

I wanted to start this a few weeks ago, but I'm waiting for a piece of hardware that will enable me to take video screencasts of a mobile phone's screen. I've discovered that it's incredibly difficult to do this on most mobile phones - especially iphone and Android - and it can't be done using software on the phone itself. Instead, I'm going to use a special USB camera that can take close-up video of the screen and then record it to the computer.

Anyhow, I've got a few ideas for apps I'd like to review (the British Council's My Wordbook and a few others spring to mind), but if anyone would like to suggest any they think it would be useful for me to look at, I'd be happy to review them.

No comments:

Post a Comment